UPDATED (panel info has been added as well)
All week, the city of San Diego has been battening down the hatches in preparation for the flood of fanboys and fangirls inundating the streets tomorrow in time for Comic-Con.
While the SIUniverse team had hopes to be there this year (we’re still listed in the program at booth #1221), schedules and circumstances have prevented us from taking part in this year’s festivities (plus side? More room for Bernard Chang and his BLVD boys!). Also, this year marks the first time in over a decade that Epic Proportions will miss the party in San Diego.
But just because we won’t be there doesn’t mean the SIUniverse won’t be well represented at the biggest con of the year. Check out below to find where in the exhibit hall members of the extended SIUniverse family can be found. And use this link to find a searchable map of the hall.
- Bernard Chang: #1223
- Giant Robot: #1729 & 1731
- Erwin Haya: #D06
- Martin Hsu: #4531
- Benton Jew: #DD-23
- Dustin Nguyen: #FF-04
Moreover, several SIUniverse alums can be found on panels throughout the week.
Thursday, July 18
Friday, July 19
- 10:00am – 11:00am: DC Comics: My Secret Origin, or How I Broke into Comics: Bernard Chang (Green Lantern Corps) give you an inside look at how some of DC Entertainment’s top talent made their careers crafting the tales of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and others.[Room 6DE]
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm: CBLDF: Raising a Reader: An all-star panel of kids comics creators (including Flight‘s Kazu Kibuishi) and educators discuss ways to get children excited about reading, encourage creativity, and cultivate a love of literature using great graphic novels and comics. [Room 30CDE]
- 4:15pm – 5:15pm: DC Comics Superman Unchained: From Concept to Page: Meet the entire all-star creative team of the highly acclaimed Superman: Unchained, including pencilers Jim Lee and Dustin Nguyen. [Room 6DE]
Saturday, July 20
- 11:00am – 12:00pm: Avatar the Last Airbender: Beginning and Beyond: Gene Luen Yang and others will be on hand to share their experiences and answer questions about Avatar: The Last Airbender. [Room 29A]
- 12:45pm – 1:45pm: DC Comics Green Lantern: Recharged!: Bernard Chang and others offer an exclusive look at what’s in store during this new and exciting time for the Green Lantern Corps. [Room 6DE]
- 7:30pm – 8:30pm: Angry Asian Media Makers: Lela Lee (creator of Angry Little Asian Girl, Angry Little Girls), Phil Yu (blogger, Angry Asian Man), and Wesley Chan and Ted Fu (Wong Fu productions) discuss the ways that each of them create content and how they grow an engaged fan following. Join them for this Q&A session moderated by fan and dedicated follower Victor Lee.[Room 8]
Sunday, July 21
- 10:00am – 11:00am: Kids: Comics in Action!: Kazu Kibuishi will compete in an action-packed, high-stakes, no-holds-barred drawing championship for your approval![Room 7AB]
- 1:30pm – 2:30pm: Shattering Convention in Comic Book Storytelling: Moderated by Racebending.com, this panel of comic book authors discuss their experiences writing diverse and innovative work for big franchises, indie, small press, and web comics. Gene Yang (Avatar: The Last Airbender) joins Brandon Thomas (Miranda Mercury) and Gail Simone (The Movement) to discuss diversity without stereotyping, creating compelling heroes and villains, and reader advocacy. [Room 23ABC]
3:30pm – 4:30pm: First Second: Gene Yang and Paul Pope In Conversation: First Second authors Paul Pope (Battling Boy) and Gene Luen Yang (Boxers & Saints) discuss their creative process, their magical-realist storytelling techniques, and their exciting upcoming books — projects that each author has been working on for the past five years.[Room 26AB]
Hope everyone has fun in sunny southern Cali, and we’ll see you all at New York Comic-Con this fall!
|The Crew (with Kelly Hu and Cliff Chiang) at SDCC in 2009.|